Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,564
Re: Nikon's "My Menu" Feature . . . (video)

D Cox wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

they say a video is worth one million words

main layout starts 24 seconds in

+1

Here is a video for the Nikon "My Menu" feature.

This guy is showing how it works with the Nikon D850, but I can do the same thing on my much cheaper Nikon D5100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01SCV8muU4

The thing that he mentions is that it saves you time when you are out in the field.

Meaning . . . if you put what you usually change on your camera in the "My Menu", then you won't have to menu dive just to get to things. Everything you usually need is there in one place on your "My Menu".

One thing that he doesn't mention, but I do is . . . put things on the "My Menu" that I don't want to forget about.

For instance . . . ISO setting.

If I am shooting cheer (indoor sports) one day and I set the camera up for ISO 6400. And then the next day I am shooting portraits outdoors and I'd want to be at ISO 100, I hope I don't forget to check the ISO setting.

So . . . I've put AUTO-ISO and ISO menu items on "My Menu" on all my Nikon dSLR cameras.

ISO is the default first item on the Quick Set control (equivalent to My Menu) in current Sigma cameras. You just hit the QS button and turn the main control wheel.

+1

Yes.

There are quick ways to change the ISO setting itself on all my Nikon dSLR cameras.

My D5100 I can go to the "i" (info) screen and change it there. But I have also set the function of the "FN" button to act as a dedicated ISO button.

My D7000 & D750 have a dedicated ISO button.

But the D5100 & D7000 I never found a way to change Auto-ISO ON/OFF with the buttons. So, instead of menu diving, I just tossed it on "My Menu" so I could quickly access it. And I also tossed on the menu item to change the values of the "Auto-ISO settings."

The D750, now when you press the ISO button, the front dial switches Auto-ISO ON/OFF. But I still need the "Auto-ISO settings" on "My Menu". But I also toss Auto-ISO ON/OFF on "My Menu" anyway just to keep it the same as my other cameras.

So, it's not the ISO value itself I am changing. It's all to do with the Auto-ISO feature of the cameras.

The main menu system is needed only for things you seldom change, such as the colour of peaking. It seems quite intuitive to me, but then after decades of using computer software it should do.

+1

And I've put other things like Assign AE-L/AF-L button so that if I want to do back-button-focus I can do that really quickly. Or to set the built-in flash between iTTL or commander mode. Along with access to the menu to change the power of the external flash units remotely.

But one thing I put right at the time is "Time zone and date".

Everytime I shoot, I want to make sure my camera has the right date / time and time zone. (My daughter actually has cheer competitions sometimes in the next time zone.) And I want the right date + time especially if shooting with two cameras, that way when I sort my pictures, they all get sorted together chronologically.

So . . . I constantly want a reminder to make sure my date + time is set up right.

So . . . I get the double purpose out of "My Menu" as also my check-list of things to check before I start to shoot.

And . . . since I have "Time zone and date" right at the top of "My Menu", I have it set up that when I press the "FN" button, it takes me right to the top menu item. Which in my case is the "Time zone and date", so I can see what time it is. LOL.

Interesting. I never touch Time and Date. If it's correct to within a day or two, that's good enough for me.

+1

LOL.

I used to be that way.

But when I started shooting with more than one camera it made me reconsider this.

The thing is . . . when I start processing my pictures, the first thing I do is get the computer (Either through Adobe Lightroom or NAMEXIF) to add the DATE+TIME to the beginning of the filename of the file.

That way, years from now, if I grab a picture file, I know when it was taken. (This is actually for my kids. By putting the DATE+TIME in the filename, I am not forcing them to look up the EXIF info, which . . . at some point in time my become deleted.)

But, on vacation, I might shoot with two cameras.

If the two cameras are sync'd with DATE+TIME, then when I toss all the pictures into one folder, all the pictures from all the cameras then get sorted chronologically! Q.E.D.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

What I noticed is that now-a-days, with a cellphone, I never wear a watch anymore. So when I am out shooting . . . I was constantly having to pull my cellphone out to see what time it was. If I am shooting a client, it is kinda rude to be constantly pulling out my cellphone. So now . . . I just press the "FN" button and look at the back of my camera and I can see the time. So . . . the client things I'm just checking out the settings on my camera! LOL. But this is also really convenient when I am shooting cheer as well.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow