A new body or a new telephoto lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,005
Re: A new body or a new telephoto lens?

viper699 wrote:

The shooting I do is pretty basic in my opinion. landscape, wildlife (minor portion), and basic night scenes for tourist areas.

About the only subject I shoot in motion regularly when possible is the ocean.

The wildlife I shoot is really spontaneous, ie I'm not specifically looking for it.

If I had the money and was heading out for a specific animal trip like Africa etc, I would rent one of the ultra zooms.

I don't think having a new body will give me better pictures mind you, just allow for my creative control perhaps.

I do like my 5500, I love the articulating fully touch sensitive screen. Something I don't believe the other Nikon bodies have, except the 5600

If you buy a FF camera body you would need to buy a set of FF lenses. I would suggest you concentrate on lenses that you can use on your current body and if you do at some time buy a FF body later on ( used!) they will work on it. I would suggest the FF version of the Nikon 70-300 or a 100-400 Sigma to take care of your telephoto needs. Both are reasonably light for the reach, the Nikon being the lighter.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow