Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Antal I Kozma
OP Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,194
Re: Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Old Greenlander wrote:

Antal,

I use Sigma 500/4 / Nikon, but for large birds that are easier than small ones and I don’t use TCs

Hah, my apologies. My previous response was a mistake. There is another thread about the "might exist one day" 600mm f5.6 PF lens and I mistakenly responded to you believing that we were in that thread. Hmmmmm............ old and careless.........

As of your Sigma images, they are of excellent quality. Thanks for showing them. A question, have you ever experienced focust shift with your Sigma when shooting a burst sequence? There are a number of birders who complained about out of focus images when shooting a burst. The reports indicated that one in focus image was accompanied with two out of focus ones in repeated sequences. This is the only thing that holds me back from ordering the Sigma. Sigma is very mum about this. Brad Hill, a very well known nature photographer, asked Sigma about this and got a cloudy answer from them. All they said that they know of Nikon lenses that do the same.

Anyway, I am still sitting on the fence. It is kind of dead season now in my neck of the woods so I can get by with whatever I have on hand. Plus, I am in the midst of building a cedar strip canoe that I'll take out for longer trips in the fall. So I am OK to wait a bit to replace my lost Nikkor 500mm f4E FL. I may take a chance and get the Sigma, the cost savings is very tempting. However, I am a bit nervous about the reported AF inconsistency. Apparently it is a sample variation issue. Unless it has something to do with setting up the lens correctly with the Sigma Console.

Anyhow, thanks for chiming in and showing those convincingly nice images.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow