Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Antal I Kozma
OP Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Question about the Sigma 500mm f$4 Sport lens

Old Greenlander wrote:

Antal,

I use Sigma 500/4 / Nikon, but for large birds that are easier than small ones and I don’t use TC

Hi there,

Nice images. For birds, like herons and egrets 500mm is fine. I used to use the 300mm PF with and without 1.4x TC to photograph these birds in the marsh from my kayak. Some egrets and herons tolerate your quiet presence in a kayak and let you get relatively close. Others take off on first sight of approach. I never figured out the personality differences between the "easy going" and "photographer hater" birds.....

Now, warblers, vireos, kinglets, marsh wrens are very small birdies. For example, the head of a white egret is larger than a Ruby-crowned Kinglet or a Nashwille Warbler. For those little guys my favourite set up is a 500mm f4E FL + 1.4x TC III on a D500 Nikon. Even then, some cropping is often needed.

Anyhow, I would love to see a 600mm f5.6 PF lens from Nikon. That would easily become the "resident lens" on my D500 for small bird photography. It would give me a very light and still long reaching tool.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow