Manufacturer with intuitive menus?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 4,559
Re: Nikon's "My Menu" Feature . . .

TacticDesigns wrote:

rb61 wrote:

Is there one camera manufacturer that stands out as a leader when it comes to intuitive menus?

Please ignore, if possible, stratospheric priced cameras.

Thanks

I've had a few brands of digital cameras.

Pentax, Canon, Nikon and for compact cameras Fujifilm, Sony and Canon.

Personally, I think a lot of it may come down to personal preference.

But one feature of my Nikon dSLR cameras that I like is the "My Menu" Feature.

Basically, you get to make your own menu!

So I just put the things that I actually use and change onto this separate menu.

So . . . although it may take some menu diving to get to a feature inside the menu, I can eliminate that by putting the most used settings on "My Menu".

The other thing is . . . the more external controls a camera has, the less you have to menu dive.

So, for my Nikon D7000 it has a dial for aperture, shutter and if I press the ISO button on the back, I can use the rear-dial to change ISO. No menu diving needed.

There is also a button for image quality and white balance.

If I press and hold the flash pop-up button, I can change the flash compensation value as well as change the flash mode from normal to red-eye-reduction and rear curtain.

And if I double press the "info" button, there are a bunch more settings I can change there without going into the menu.

Is it class leading? I don't know.

But I know it is effective and greatly appreciated by this user!

If you haven't tried out that feature, I'd highly recommend it.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

I had a D7000 for a few years, sold it to go mirrorless but recently bought a D7200 when I had a particular subject area I wanted to shoot and it turned out this was the best (and cheapest!) way of doing it.

I had forgotten how much I appreciated all those external controls. Almost anything you need, there is a button for it. As well as the ones you mention, I love the button for changing various focus settings, and the Automatic Exposure Bracketing button.

I do also enjoy the external controls on my Fujifilm X-T1, although they are quite different from the Nikon.

-- hide signature --

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7200 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow