Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,929
Re: But Why ...

RMcL wrote:

Actually, since we are now analyzing my motives here, you’re “probably” right that it wouldn’t have made a difference. That was my feeling also. I would have given up if I hadn’t been forced to hard restart my PC and that just happened to result in the Dell driver reappearing as installed. I had tried several times before using various methods including the one recommended in this thread to install the Dell driver to no avail and had essentially given up. Since the Dell driver was now installed I went ahead and used the group policy editor method to protect it. That’s it! It wasn’t a lot of work and all performed with a glass of Scotch in my hand, or two or three for that matteršŸ˜Š.

Edit: What did come out of this though as for me the most significant finding was the mysterious ways of Windows 10. Understandable I suppose given that these OS’s are used as corporate IT platforms where policies on use, modification, manipulation, security and system stability are of paramount importance and must be centrally managed. Just seems oddly out of place in the context of this discussion of course where end use is a private photographic hobby...

I'd have felt similarly to what you've described in your last few posts, and I applaud your success.

To my way of thinking, the process of simply trying things to see what happens can be a prime learning tool, and I do that often myself. A fringe benefit is sometimes discovering things one didn't know before that might be useful in the future.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow