SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: XT4 IBIS

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

SrMi wrote:

jhorse wrote:

SrMi wrote:

topcat74 wrote:

Hi all.

My image stabilisation only seems to come into effect when in continuous focusing mode if I switch to single mode the stabilisation seems to stop working.

I have it set to boost mode.

I have set stabilisation to "shooting only", not "continuous".

I am using the XF 56mm f1.2 Lens.

I can definitely see the green focusing box stabilise when in continuous focus mode and depress the focus button ( ael, set to back button focusing ) in single mode the green box does not seem to stabilise when focus depressed.

Any ideas?

Works as intended.

From X-T4 manual:

IS Mode Shooting Only:

"Image stabilization enabled only when the shutter button is pressed halfway (focus mode C) or the shutter is released."

This means that in focus mode S, stabilization is enabled only when the shutter is fully pressed. In focus mode C, stabilization is enabled while focusing (half-press shutter or BBF).

Hi, I have spent some time trying to fathom Fuji's interpretation of stabilisation. The last stabilisation system I had was Nikon and its VR lenses. In Nikon, one half pressed the shutter button to initiate stabilisation. The focus mode was irrelevant. So, half press, pause, shoot. Works well.

In Fujiland, if I understand the IBIS system correctly (and that is open to debate), if the IS Mode is set to Shooting Only and the focus mode is set to 'C' (Continuous - P 146 of the manual) then stabilisation is applied only in continuous focus - not single focus. Bizarre.

So, my interpretation of the IS Mode is that to have any stabilisation in single focus, one must set the focus mode to 'S' and the IS Mode to Continuous. I was wary of doing this initially due to battery drain, but the new XT4 battery has good staying power, so I have set the IS mode to Continuous and I certainly see the stabilisation effect in the focus 'S' mode.

I think this is how it works, but if I am wrong, please blame the excellent New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough I have just opened!

I do not want to criticize anything that is influenced by a good Sauvignon Blanc, but that is either not correct or I have misunderstood what you wrote.

There are two IS modes (Shooting Only and Continuous) and two focusing modes (single and continuous). Each focusing mode works with each IS mode. The only difference is the stability of the image in EVF/LCD.

In Continuous IS Mode, the image in EVF/LCD is always stabilized.

In Shooting Only IS Mode, the image in EVF/LCD is stabilized only while focusing is active and while the image is being taken.

I always use Continuous IS Mode, though, apparently, there are some advantages of using Shooting Only IS Mode.

With AF-S "OIS - Shooting", stabilization is applied when you also half press the shutter release.

That is not what happens on my Fuji X-T4 (at long focal lengths, I see the image in EVF shaking with half-press), not per manual, and not per Rico Pfirstinger's Fuji Secrets book.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow