Bad Nikon batteries

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,155
Bad Nikon batteries

I'm bummed.  I bought a cheap EN-EL18 generic battery on Amazon last year that stopped taking a charge after just a few uses, so I spent megabucks last week on a genuine Nikon EN-EL18c battery - and the darned thing will NOT charge.  Brand new out of the box and the thing is useless!

I put it in the charger and the normal lights blink for an hour or two and then the Calibrate button lights up - BUT - when I hold the Calibrate button down - nothing happens.  So I tried again and again - but no good.

Irritating!  I did a search online, and there is a post on Fred Miranda about this issue.

I think the problem is this battery sat on the store shelves for two years before they shipped it to me.  It has a code on it starting with 2018... - and I assume that Nikon sells their batteries with a charge of about 30%, from what I've heard - and after sitting for 2 years on the shelf, the charge goes down to zero - and the battery is then damaged by this drain down to nothing (or so I gather from what I've read).

So now I've got to deal with the fun of sending back a bum battery, and the box arrived with big warning stickers about the contents being a lithium battery ...   I don't think the airlines like these little firestarters 

I don't think it's all from the stress of having to deal with the return - but now I've got a headache ....

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon D4 +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow