Best place to buy a used Nikon 500mm f/4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Wade Abadie
OP Wade Abadie Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Best place to buy a used Nikon 500mm f/4

larrywilson wrote:

Wade Abadie wrote:

Okay, so if I were to purchase a non-USA model camera from Japan (let’s say from Map Camera on eBay).....if I need any type of service or repair, what are my options? Or are you just SOL?

I have recommended where to get a Nikon 500 f4.0 lens from and it will be a "USA" model with a good price tag. Why consider an "import" to save a couple bucks with all the questions around getting a lens repaired if an "import". I don't know why you are bringing up these questions, why not just purchase a lens from a reputable company?

Larry

Larry,

I agree....but I was asking the question to the two gentlemen above who were suggesting that the Japanese offerings were much better buys. They seem to think it doesn’t matter whether or not a camera is “gray market“....so I was just trying to get some clarification. So my question for THEM still stands....where can someone get a grey market lens repaired?

As of right  is, I am much more comfortable purchasing a USA model from a reputable company here in the states, just as you are suggesting.
Sorry for any confusion. 
Also, I was already aware of the 500mm f/4G lenses at Adorama and Lens Authority months ago... (as well as a more recent listing on MPB). I am just trying to gather info and make the best decision when the time comes (I’m not ready for a purchase today). This will be a major purchase for me and I cannot afford to buy a problem.

Wade Abadie's gear list:Wade Abadie's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow