Just bought a Sigma 24-70 DG OS

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,160
Just bought a Sigma 24-70 DG OS

(I asked this over on the Third Party Lens Forum but am getting no traction there)

At the insistence of a main client, I might add. I had my doubts before I bought it and still have them after testing it quite a bit, on my D850.

It's sharp enough (but no sharper than my Tamron 17-35, both at 24/28/35).

My main complaint is it doesn't seem as if the OS does anything. The reviews I've read seemed to be saying that the hit rate of a stabilized image of their copy can be pretty high even down to 1/15.

I have a hit rate of about 60% as far as sharp (let's say not-blurred) even at 1/80 or 1/125. I have steady hands and the hit rate on my non-stabilized Tamron is about 97%. Surely the OS on the Sigma should allow me an equal hit rate.

If I hold my Sigma steady, like on a railing (simulating a tripod) I can get 100% tack sharp images so that says something about the AF system. But I shoot mainly handheld and I really thought getting this stabilized lens would help in that regard.

What's been your experience with the Sigma 24-70 DG OS?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow