Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RMcL Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: But Why ...

SantaFeBill wrote:

... should all this be necessary? In Win7, with automatic updates turned off, I could just not dl a suggested driver and keep using the latest one dl'd from the OEM site.

I do appreciate all the information here - no doubt I will also have to use it to to try to make Win10 allow me to use the drivers I want - but it's absurd that such measures are necessary.

Yeah, basically you have to have Win 10 Pro to get group policy editor and need to be an IT administrator to boot 😊. In the end wasn’t too bad though and learned something in the process.

Honestly still don’t know exactly how I managed to finally get the Dell driver to re-install. I did try multiple times installing via device manager and it refused to install the Dell driver. I somehow got the driver back after I had to force a shutdown during a hung monitor calibration attempt. This seemed to perhaps cause some kind of reset or system recovery to an earlier state?

Pretty sure problem was caused by a Windows update in the first place though. When I first installed monitor I managed to install the Dell driver, but later that day there was in fact a big Windows update. I then later noticed that the Dell monitor was named “default PnP monitor” in system properties and I was unable to reinstall the Dell driver. So this part likely makes sense at-least.

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow