Spinning beachball Mac and lightroom

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,256
Re: Spinning beachball Mac and lightroom

lou Capeloto wrote:

HI

Lately I have had the spinning beachball on my mac only when using lightroom. Happened very recently

I read where turning of the graphics processor may help, it doesnt work

Would great appreciate any help since it is very frustrating

I am running Catalina 10.15.5

Other detailsMac

(Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

Processor 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

LIghtroom Classic 9.3

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

My only really bad experience of Lightroom causing this is with a dying HDD.

I keep my master image files on an external USB3 HDD, and the catalogue on the internal SSD.

When I was getting various beach-balling, it turned out to be a HDD starting to get reallocated sector counts. I installed DriveDX, and found the drive was starting to show signs of failure (indeed, I discovered more than one in my entire collection).

Once I'd replaced the drives showing errors in the SMART data, I've not had any issues since. I now keep DriveDX installed and running, and have since replaced other drives showing signs of failure before it got too disastrous.

Such errors aren't always a sign of a failing drive if they're constant, and a low count, but an increasing error count often is. My tendency is to simply replace the drive if it has any errors.

It can also cause general OS sluggishness and beach-balling too. I gather that such errors cause slowdowns as the OS, or apps, will keep reading/writing until it can find a good sector, and recover data from the bad sector.

It might not be that, but something worth checking.

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow