Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom Lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,073
Re: Nikon 120-300MM F/2.8 Zoom Lens

patricksmith32 wrote:

Well obviously you have not read the horror stories about third party grips. They have destroyed, fried and or ruined many a camera. I’m not saying it’s common, but that it does happen. The reason I would never buy one, is because I had one and it caused problems with the camera. I originally thought my camera was shorting out, it would just turn off or go dead. Eventually I tried removing the grip and problem solved. The main reasons though to buy a Nikon over third party is weather sealing and proper electrical communication. I know Nikon charges a lot for vertical grips, but think how much money you save over a D5 type camera with a built in grip. Plus they are magnesium alloy and built extremely well, some even add features or buttons to the camera, such as an extra function button. If your buying a $3300 D850 it’s not a stretch to add a $400 grip. Some third party grips do not fit as well as the Nikon either and that along with no weather sealing can lead water in between the grip and bottom of the camera, where the electrical port is. Any and I mean any little drop of water that gets into that will fry the camera and grip. That’s why you need to be extremely careful to always replace the little rubber piece on the camera base when you remove the grip. As far as third party batteries and chargers I’m sure they are fine, I still wouldn’t recommend them or buy them, but they seem fine...easier to copy. However inspect a Wasabi charger next to a Nikon charger and you’ll see the difference in build quality right away, which means the electrical is probably different too. I have always shot pro bodies so adding a grip is less of an expense to me, as I already have the charger, but for some $1000 is a lot of money. So I get that some people buy third party, but I just never will again. For those who do and have good luck, power to you! I’m happy that your happy!

Water is everywhere, not least in your breath and in the air outdoors!

I paddled with a tiny Konica digital compact for years, and it did get more than one drop, and nothing happened with it, although it was a simple compact with no seals anywhere! I kept it in a cloth bag hanging around my neck. I have no idea how much water it was exposed to during trips around Skye, and at sea in Sweden, but the only thing that happened was that I wore the buttons out, and a few pixels went missing!

A single drop of water will never do much harm, or you would not be able to walk around with cameras in humid conditions, say a greenhouse, a bath, in humid climates, or in the UK, most days of the year. Nor in Seattle!

If you are out shooting in a storm on the west coast of the UK your camera will be inundated with humidity, spray, and saltwater, and, unless your lenses all are internally focusing, some water will be sucked into the camera, there is no way of keeping the water out. Unless you use a UW house for it and your lens. A properly maintained UW house, I hasten to add, as a so-so UW house might make more harm than being without, as a little water might seep in and the sun shining on the house will raise the temperature, and make the humidity levels extreme inside. Divers have packs of silica gel in their UW houses, to suck up any amount of humidity or water droplets that might be trapped inside the house.

I once carried a top-class emergency pack in my kayak (including flares, VHF radio transceiver, the works), and among all the other things in the kit was a big stainless Leatherman (expensive to boot), totally rust-proof according to the manufacturer.
Ha! In that, occasionally hot due to sunshine, waterproof bag it rusted like any old knife, due to the fact that any kind of plastic lets minute amount of water through. Almost all plastic sucks up humidity from the air around it, even Teflon does this (for instance, nylon gets brittle when totally dry so should be boiled occasionally - most plastics become brittle in the wintertime as the air is so much drier then). So any kind of a plastic enclosure will trap water inside, if given a chance — most camera bodies are plastic, or partly plastic, as are many lenses., even those supposedly being water-resistant!

By the way, the bag was pretty airtight as well, the first few years, but eventually, small holes developed from handling it, and the climate inside got better, but it didn't float as well!

I will here give you some simple rules about using a camera in heavy rain/high humidity, no matter if it is water-resistant or not:

Take it indoors as dry as you can make it — a warm car can kill it, so use the AC or keep the windows open till you've dried it well (it must be cooler indoors or water will condensate on the camera, and inside! the same goes for the lens).

When you are indoors wipe everything off again and put it in a dryer (if you have access use a drying cupboard or an airtight box with a lot of silica gel) or just heat it a little with a hairdryer, with the lens off and the battery out and the battery door open, as should every other opening/door be, like the rubber grommet over the contact in the camera's bottom! Now store it with the battery taken out of your camera, with no lens mounted on it, just a cloth over it to prevent dust from entering, and do the same with the lens, no caps in either end, simply put it in a cloth bag!

Next day it will be ready for a new fight with the weather!
In extreme weather in the winter-time, say -40, you put the camera in a plastic bag, after having brushed off the snow and frost, before entering any building. When the camera has attained room temperature, not before, you take it out and do the procedure I mentioned previously, dry it as well as you can and put is somewhere the air is as dry as possible.

In an emergency, an empty, but functional, fridge might do, as the air inside a fridge is extremely dry, but place the camera in an open plastic bag before you put it side the fridge, and after two hours, or so, close the bag as quickly as you can and let the camera regain room temperature! And keep it as mentioned above, with doors open, lens off, and so on!

Just some friendly advice, that's all!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow