RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,336
Re: RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

JohnnyLuddite wrote:

I have a Mk 1 and a mid-range smartphone, but don't use the smartphone camera much because I dislike the ergonomics and because I'm happy with making the choices which improve the shot to be what I want. Having a good carry system (on waist belt) means I have it with me, and it's great travelling/hiking.

I do exactly the same thing and I have my smartphone clipped to my belt next to my smartphone. Because being clipped to my belt is so unobtrusive it's essentially the same as bringing nothing at all.

One thing I would encourage is to view costs of photographic gear on an annualised basis, particularly since the lifetime of a smartphone is practically half that of a decent camera in my estimation. So instead of justifying a top-end smartphone to myself on the basis that it could do good photography, I've put the photographic money into a camera.

I think it depends where you want to go with photography, and what kind of use you want to put it to - prints? It's fine if you want to stick with the smartphone by the way!

My iPhone covers a range wider than my RX100 M1 so it's useful if I want to use it but that is rare.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow