RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,139
Re: RX100 III vs Samsung S9+

I have a Mk 1 and a mid-range smartphone, but don't use the smartphone camera much because I dislike the ergonomics and because I'm happy with making the choices which improve the shot to be what I want. Having a good carry system (on waist belt) means I have it with me, and it's great travelling/hiking.

One thing I would encourage is to view costs of photographic gear on an annualised basis, particularly since the lifetime of a smartphone is practically half that of a decent camera in my estimation. So instead of justifying a top-end smartphone to myself on the basis that it could do good photography, I've put the photographic money into a camera.

I think it depends where you want to go with photography, and what kind of use you want to put it to - prints? It's fine if you want to stick with the smartphone by the way!

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow