Is Quattro going to L?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: Sigma APS-C Camera?

DMillier wrote:

Given the lack of development of m4/3 sensors and the larger market for APS-C sensors, could Panasonic re-purpose off-the-shelf state of the art APS-c sensors as oversized m4/3? I realise that means throwing away the extra pixels but it would provide them with a much wider range of sensors without having to go to the expense of developing m4/3 sensors for such a small market.

What would the pixel count of the current Fuji sensor be if cropped to m4/3? Or the new Canon sensor?

Edit: I can use a calculator, so I can answer my own question. The new Canon sensor would yield 22MP if used as a m4/3 sensor. More pixels plus the opportunity to max out different aspect ratios.

I've been arguing for this for weeks and it's come up SO many times in various forums.

Aside from the fact that Panasonic has already played with multi aspect ratio cameras, the main benefit to Panasonic putting an APS-C sensor into a micro four thirds lens mount is...

Native Cinematic Aspect Ratios.

Don't want anamorphic lenses? Tired of throwing away pixels for extreme crops?

Get ready for full width sensor read out at any aspect ratio.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GCL
GCL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow