Flash light with non-CPU lens

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mech314 Forum Member • Posts: 59
Flash light with non-CPU lens

Hi everyone!

Recently I found myself to be very interested in macro photography. I made a rig where I have laowa 60mm and SB-300 flash light on TTL cord in an extension bracket. So the flash light is closer to the object of interested.

So for the flashlight to work in iTTL mode with non CPU lens I had to specify max F and focusing distance values in the camera.

The question that I have is that these values are meaningful only if the flashlight is on the hot shoe, right?  If I bring the flash closer to the front end of the lens I probably need to change the maximum focusing distance value in my camera?

I realize that the focusing distance doesn't change when the flash light is not on a hot shoe but the amount of light that reaches the object is higher when the flash light is closer.

Now I'm thinking to move the flash light even closer to the front end of the lens, so I worry that iTTL will work not correctly.

I will be happy to hear any thoughts on that topic

Mech314's gear list:Mech314's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow