why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,894
Re: It ain't the meat, it's the motion

Ellis Vener wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Three quotes from Richard Avedon that seem apt:

"I’ve worked out of a series of no’s. No to exquisite light, no to apparent compositions, no to the seduction of poses or narrative. And all these no’s force me to the “yes.” I have a white background. I have the person I’m interested in and the thing that happens between us.” – Richard Avedon

“A photographic portrait is a picture of someone who knows he’s being photographed, and what he does with this knowledge is as much a part of the photograph as what he’s wearing or how he looks. He’s implicated in what’s happened, and he has a certain real power over the result.” – Richard Avedon

“I am always stimulated by people. Almost never by ideas.” – Richard Avedon

In general, I like that idea. But I think if you start to decode a lot of his work, you'll see that his most successful and well reviewed work still follows gestalt principles. So not sure what he really said "no" to.

Arteests at the upper echelons of the art world almost universally begin to speak about art this way. I'm of the strong opinion that it's an intentional misdirection. After all, if they emphasize the technical, it becomes clear that many people dedicated to the craft could equal or exceed their accomplishments.

Technique is the foundation. Like with a building, bad technique will sabotage what you create, but who looks at a great building and says "what an amazing foundation it must have!"? (well engineers do and I say that with respect.)

This thread begs to differ. The images touted show no meaningful amount of technique.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow