why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,480
Re: It ain't the meat, it's the motion

Ellis Vener wrote:

First: I am ignoring the OP's original title for this thread because it has nothign to do with the questions he ( and most assuredly the OP is a he, you can tell by the tone of the post.)

Second: "de gustibus non disputandum est"

If you don't like the style of the photography there is no question : its not your cup of tea or how you'd do these assignments. And while you can question the taste of the art director or photo editor who commissioned Juergen Teller to make these portraits for W's Academy Award nominee issue, it's their taste and they didn't hire you or your favorite fashion photographer. I suspect they are in firm control of the look of their publication and know something about the tastes of their audience.

But that says nothing about anything really. Aren't we all tired of Bro Country? I think it's well established that it's schlock. And yet, someone in the record business knows this audience and continues to produce a stream of money printing songs that are essentially devoid of any artistic merit.

Do I care? Nope, glad they can make a living at it. But let's not confuse popular and profitable with anything else.

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

My reason is I want to know what is that gives these images more of a high-end look, they're by Juergen Teller for W mag from January 2020.

Direction, styling, and the performance delivered by the actors and the selection of one frame over another.

That said ,there is nothing technically difficult or outwardly "artful" about these photos. there is no big production. if these videos are indicative of how Teller genrally works - https://www.nytimes.com/video/t-magazine/100000005037252/on-set-dave-chappelle.html?playlistId=video/on-set and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEg0HCtgCjg- Teller doesn't do big set ups with carefully crafted lighting that freezes the subject in place, and he definitely gets the subjects to play. In fact the shoots seem to be pretty low key. Along with the performances he gets out of his subjects that low key style might be a reason he gets hired for high profile projects like this.

His photography is about the surface of emotions.

But tell us what is great about the photos we've seen here? Not why it's popular or why it's good or what the audience is. Can you distinguish this from oh so many popular works? Remember, advertising is about exploitation of cognitive bias...

Three quotes from Richard Avedon that seem apt:

"I’ve worked out of a series of no’s. No to exquisite light, no to apparent compositions, no to the seduction of poses or narrative. And all these no’s force me to the “yes.” I have a white background. I have the person I’m interested in and the thing that happens between us.” – Richard Avedon

“A photographic portrait is a picture of someone who knows he’s being photographed, and what he does with this knowledge is as much a part of the photograph as what he’s wearing or how he looks. He’s implicated in what’s happened, and he has a certain real power over the result.” – Richard Avedon

“I am always stimulated by people. Almost never by ideas.” – Richard Avedon

In general, I like that idea. But I think if you start to decode a lot of his work, you'll see that his most successful and well reviewed work still follows gestalt principles. So not sure what he really said "no" to.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow