why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,757
Re: Questions

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

You can take the grey card with you, and you can either use it to get a manual white balance in the camera, or photograph it in the scene in your first photo. Raw processing software can then adjust the white balance according to the photo of the grey card.

i think i would set manually in camera as not all situations you can tether

I'm not sure that tethering has anything to do with this.

By placing a neutral target in a photograph, you can adjust the white balance in your raw processor.

When I started, I used the gray card all of the time, but with experience, I find that I hardly ever need it anymore.

is this because you have learnt to eyeball it

Yes, I can eyeball it because I have a calibrated monitor; I would not suggest adjusting color by sight with a non-calibrated monitor.

But I also adjust color by the color values found in the image file, and by other means.

What color profiles do you use in this software? You’ll have a variety of options such as Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, and possibly many more.

where can I find this, when I open my raw in photoshop it brings up the option of camera raw filter and I go from there

Do you have the latest version of Photoshop? The color profiles are listed near the top of the menu in Adobe Camera Raw:

Notice "Adobe Color" is selected by default. You can change this, and very many profiles are available, including some which attempt to match the native JPEG color rendering of the camera.

These profiles control the overall color and tonal rendering of the raw files and I would suggest that you investigate how these influence your images before you do other edits.

I changed my camera mode to neutral recently

As mentioned elsewhere, Adobe Camera Raw will ignore this setting. You have to go into the Profile feature shown above and select "Camera Neutral" to get a similar effect.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow