jmw4
OP jmw4 Contributing Member • Posts: 801
Re: My favorite subject: Wildflowers/Dramatic Light

NatureFiles wrote:

David1961 wrote:

NatureFiles wrote:

jmw4 wrote:

b823s7 wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but to me it looks like as the foreground flower cannot get direct light from the sun. Did you use a flash, reflector or other light source or did you lift the exposure in PP?

Lots of dodging and burning to help that foreground stand out!

Reminds me a lot of Nick Pages stuff. I'm sure to be in the minority here but to me, the foreground is over-processed a tad too much to be believable. I've been seeing this style a lot lately on instagram, shooting into the sun with dodged/burned foregrounds, maybe just not my cup of tea.

I do appreciate the composition and the effort involved behind the computer screen!

I believe the aim/goal of an image creator should be taken into account.

If the intent was to produce an image representing exactly what a photographer saw then clearly this image doesn't do that because the foreground flower is "lit" from above it when the sun is on the horizon.

To me, the intent for this image was to accentuate the foreground flower while "blending" it into the scene behind it. Maintaining total realism is clearly not the #1priority here imo.

As I see it, the intent here was to produce an "art" image while maintaining some reality and the op has done a wonderful job notwithstanding the flower it self is a little soft if viewed zoomed in.

You make a valid point. Ultimately, we all try to execute the vision in our head, whether it be documenting, realism, artistic, or something in between. No doubt the OP is well skilled in capturing his vision!

Very well said both of you! I stopped trying to maintain 100% realism and started letting myself create images that were pleasing to my eye. With that being said, I tried to accentuate the parts of the scene that I liked at the time, so I did create this image in processing how “I” saw it while photographing it. I think we all see things differently, but I knew when I was shooting this image exactly what my end goal was going to be.

-- hide signature --

Long Distance Hiker: AT, PCT, CTx2, TMB, TRT
Galleries: www.jaredweberphotography.com
Instagram: Jared.M.Weber

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow