X100s Am I being silly?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,124
Re: X100s Am I being silly?

Joe Olson wrote:

Great, affordable way to enter the X100 line. I recently acquired a X100S for $250, near mint with box and all. I like it enough that I've now purchased a X100F that I am going to hang onto and sell the S. They come up often on Fred Miranda and if you're patient, very reasonable.

I go the original X100 (limited edition black version) for $300 USD. No box.

The X100 and X100S are basically the same price on the used market. Since I already had experience with the X-Trans (first generation) sensor, I decided to go for the original - and have zero regrets in this regard. Both are excellent and now I have my choice of "rendering."

A fun camera but rangefinder like only in appearance.

I was incredibly disappointed with my (years ago) purchase of the original X-100 because it was useless with manual lenses. Firmware updates helped - and then later generations made it genuinely OK with manual focus lenses.

But if you're expecting anything like a rangefinder or old school SLR split prism focusing mechanism - it's not that.

One day maybe Fuji will make a TRUE hybrid rangefinder with a digital rangefinder patch in the middle of the optical viewfinder. But until then- IMO Sony full frame has a better manual focus experience.

As an X-Pro and X100 user one difference strikes me above all else.

The X100 viewfinder is optimized for the 35mm field of view. As is the "focus dot".

On the X-Pro, parallax means I'm not confident in my focus point - but on the X100 it becomes intuitive.

The X100 central focus point is larger than the X-Pro (or at least the one I'm used to) and it gives me more confidence with the optical viewfinder that whatever I'm pointing the camera at is what it will focus on.

Also I don't know if this is an original X100 feature or what but the "turn off the sensor until you have press the button in OVF mode" energy saving mode makes me worry about the battery less.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow