With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Anonymous Pi Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: It's a good question

michaeladawson wrote:

There's nothing wrong with your view of what Nikon will be doing with their camera lineup. I just don't quite agree with it. First, I don't count the Df. That's a one-off oddball.

So Nikon's DSLR line-up (full frame) is:

D610 (entry) -> D780 (mid-level "prosumer") -> D850 (high MP "pro") -> D6 (flagship "pro")

What does a Z lineup look like if there is both a Z7 and Z8?

Z5 (entry) -> Z6 (mid-level "prosumer") -> Z7 (high MP "prosumer") -> Z8 (higher MP "pro") -> Z9 (flagship "pro")

It's certainly possible that this will be Nikon's line-up. But it's an extra model in the line-up in a shrinking market. I just think the line-up would make more sense if the Z7 MkII was upgraded to be more of a "pro" camera and gained the latest 60MP sensor. Even the rumored D5 is supposed to have dual card slots. I expect a Z6 MkII and a Z7 MkII will both have dual slots. What other features need to be carried over from the D850 to Z?

The problem with this view is that it ignores the fact that the DSLR lineup -- which is clearly on the long road to being phased out -- wasn't always as you present it now. Until recently (well, for a good amount of time, I didn't notice exactly when it disappeared, but I don't think it was that long ago) it also included the D810 which was really halfway between the D750 & D850 in resolution, and the gaps would be wider between Z6, 7 & 8. Also, the Z6 & 7 share the same body and more, and could indefinitely, making keeping both of them less development work (for the m2, m3, ...) over time than 5 completely distinct cameras. (Who knows if the Z8 could share a body with a Z9 or maybe m2 models of the Z6 & 7.)

So, it's not really an extra model in the lineup. As long as they are rationally distinguished from each other and are optimal for certain photographers/use, there's no reason Nikon can't offer 5 FX cameras even in these times. (If they aren't rationally distinct from each other, then Nikon has a problem.) There will probably be fewer DX models as well, so overall the total number of cameras will likely remain roughly the same. I doubt very much there will be 4 DX models, maybe only 2, but I would say 3 tops.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow