With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,829
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

I think it's easier to think about this if you forget about product numbers/names and just look at price points as we've already seen many years of how Nikon operates price points.  These are the prices directly from NikonUSA's web-site.  A "few" cameras are "on sale" according to Nikon which slightly distorts the median price for that part of the product line, but I still think this is a useful way to look at things:

First off, I think we can all agree that at some point, there will be a D6 style camera in mirrorless at the $6k+ price point probably whenever Nikon thinks they can beat the D6 in terms of performance.

Then, I think we can agree that Nikon wants to fill out the lower end of the product line with some entry-level DX cameras that are less expensive than the Z50 since mirrorless is supposed to ultimately enable better price performance (so many fewer parts).

So, then if you look at a possible Z8, it could go at the launch price of the D850 ($3299) or at the launch price of the Z7 ($3399).  If it did, then Nikon could keep the Z7 in the product in the $2300-$2600 price range or they could just drop it entirely.  Over time though we've already seen the Z7 drift downwards from $3399 down to $2799 so if that happened to the Z8, there really wouldn't be much pricing room for the Z7 to fit any more unless the Z6 (and it's successor drift down even more).

It seems to be more likely that the Z7 price point gets beefed up with things like dual memory cards, higher fps, faster AF, better video and maybe higher resolution in a future camera at around the same price point that the Z7 started at.   This could either be named a Z8 and the Z7 drops in price some and then eventually fades away or it could just be the Z7-v2 and the original Z7 drops in price some until all inventory is sold and then its gone for good.

I don't personally see a lot of reason for the current Z7 to stay around after a next generation high res mirrorless body comes out from Nikon as they would be relatively close in price and I think most people that wanted a product in that segment would be a little more for the newer version.  It's somewhat analogous to the D810 and D850.  Once the D850 came out, there wasn't a compelling reason for Nikon to keep manufacturing the D810.  If you were attracted to that segment of the market, you were willing to pay more for the D850 or you were shopping used D810 bodies anyway.  The think the same is probably true of the Z7 and it's successor.

Then, lastly, there look like lots more price slots at the low end of mirrorless if Nikon has the tech to hit those lower price points.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow