X100s Am I being silly?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,133
Re: X100s Am I being silly?

Caledonia84 wrote:

Hey Guys,

I guessed you would be best to ask, been drawn to a fuji x100s lately but considering my current gear I'm wondering if its worth it.

I started off with a fuji s100fs bridge years ago but moved to a Sony Nex 5R then A6000 and now an A7ii I still have all the cameras. on the way Ive collected dozens of legacy SLRs and lenses which I have adapted to my sonys.

I wouldnt be replacing any of them with a x100s but was looking for a digital experience equivalent of shooting with my yashica Electro 35 rangefinder, I love the sample photos from the x100 but not sure if its fuji files or the processing that I like. Would I be aswell sticking a 24mm on my A6000 or is the X100 different experience altogether?

I have experience with a few generations of Fuji sensors.

The 12 mp Bayer in the X100 (recent acquisition)

The X16mp X-Trans in the X-Pro1 (the same as the X100S)

The 24mp X-Trans III in the X-Pro2 (and the X-100F).

And things definitely changed between sensors.

The X-100 series isn't a true rangefinder, you can't autofocus with it, so you'll get a viewfinder, but not a true rangefinder experience.

Check out this thread for photos from the X-Trans and X-Trans III sensor - Astia film sim.

In my opinion - the look of Fuji's files has changed a lot. This is neither good nor bad, but I definitely prefer the earlier cameras to the later ones.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4493802

Aside from the colors, what do I like about the X100? It's a nice little camera - the form factor is great. it's an attractive camera. I would totally recommend it. IMO you will get enjoy joy out of it to make it worth the side-grade from the A6000.

FWIW I also own an original A7 that I use with mostly Leica M-mount lenses, so I have a comparison to Sony as well.

-- hide signature --
 saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Nikon D7000 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow