Is the journey from Telephoto to Telescope worth taking?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AusAlmond
AusAlmond Junior Member • Posts: 44
Is the journey from Telephoto to Telescope worth taking?

Looking for someone who has experience of upgrading to a telescope.

I've been photographing deep sky objects such as Nebulae for some 3 years using a 37 year old Nikkor 300 F2.8 and sometimes a 2x teleconverter mounted on a Fornax Lightrack 2. I process using DSS and the wonderful RNC software. It's been very satisfying but as time goes by, I realise that there is a lot of de-fringing being done in Raw Therapee and some bright stars still have red-green on either side. I also suspect that my 24 Mbps APS-C camera is capable of more resolution than the lens.

I've looked at Astrobin and picked scopes that make better image of the same Nebulae that I have taken. A triplet or quad APO seems to produce great results. Do you expect that I will be blown away by the improvement of the scope compared to my current Nikkor lens? Can anyone tell me the relative resolutions and chromatic aberrations of these devices? Can I later put a higher resolution sensor in front of a scope and utilise it?

Currently a Meade 350mm F5 equivalent Astrograph looks like it is the best portable option, though it's 20% more expensive than a new Canon 300mm F4. A Canon 300mm F2.8 seems to have comparable image quality (and a lot more light) at triple the price. Is the scope better for my purpose?

I appreciate the opinions of this experienced group of people!

-- hide signature --

Almond

AusAlmond's gear list:AusAlmond's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow