Re: What makes the Samyang f1.4 better?

M_digicapt wrote:

aidaho wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

walter g1 wrote:

Tom,

Neewer 85mmf1.8 is a 6/6 design.

Opteka 85mm f1.8 is a 10/7 design.

There are also cheap 85mm f1.8 lenses with a 9/7 design.

Not that I care that much but this Opteka thing has me a bit puzzled:

Looks like 6x6 in the illustration

I've looked it up, and to my eye it was very easy to classify this lens below every single 100/2.8 or 100/2.5 I've used.

Sometimes cheap 3rd party lenses can be great. This is not the case. Whatever true lens count was, it did not help.

If one really wants cheap and heavy 85, double the price and get a Samyang 85/1.4. Obviously Samyang is not twice as good as Opteka 85/1.8.

At least five times as good is more like it.

Can someone explain to people like me who know nothing about lens design why the Samyang 85mm f1.4 is 5 times better?

Thanks

I would not say that the Samyang 85/1.4 was that much better but it was regarded as very good, for why I don’t know.  It is of a larger size variety but not as large as the Canon 85/1.2 by any measure.  After I bought my Samyang a very long time ago It became a bit of an orphan as it was in PK mount where I had few lenses and did not buy more.  It was destined for my then Samsung NX10.   This camera was a basic but quite effective camera in its day but had a sometimes annoying quirk when using adapters where a mechanical switch at the end of the mount flange had to be depressed in order to confirm to the camera that there was in fact a lens mounted.  Some adapter flanges were made not quite long enough to activate the switch. But inventive users managed a work-around even if it was just a tiny paper wedge.

In any case I was lucky that the Samyang lens was at least in PK mount.  I have since been able to focal reduce adapt this lens.

Some time after I bought the lens I read a photographic magazine article (long since lost) where the lens was compared favourably to both Nikon and Canon “fast 85” lenses. I did not demur and I had the Canon 85/1.2 to compare it with.  At least the Canon worked well in AF on my Canon dslr camera bodies or I might have used the Samyang more often.

It was only after a hiatus of quite a few years and a move to M4/3 that I decided to try a PK-M4/3 focal reduction adapter and dug the Samyang out of retirement. Luckily it has a manual focus ring.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow