With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,266
Re: It's a good question

FKS wrote:

Highly doubtful. They're not going to go down the Canon nomenclature path.

I don't see many alternatives based on the naming convention they've introduced with the Z line.  What does the next model of Z6 become?  Z16?  Oh, wait.  Is a Z16 a lower end model compared with the Z50?

I don't really care if they use Mark II, Mk II, or simply II.  But they are going to have to do something like that unless they start following the auto industry and just keep the same name year after year despite model updates.  Maybe they'll call it a Z7 2022.

I think it is telling that Nikon didn't keep a naming convention similar to their DSLR lineup.  Simply substitute Z for D.  The Z6 could have been the Z600, the Z7 the Z700.  And the Z50 would have been a Z5000.  But they didn't do that.

Model names are important as they are one way for a consumer to make sense out of a company's product lineup.

FingerPainter wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

First, let me say that I think Nikon will start using Mark II, Mark III designations. I don't see that they can do otherwise given the Zx model numbering.

There is a good chance this will happen.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow