why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,587
Re: why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

what do you suppose was used to create them then?

good natural light and white balance set correctly and that's about it?

I'm a nature photographer (wildlife, wildflowers, landscapes) and rarely shoot portraits thus a set up of studio lights is something I do not have.  I rarely use supplemental lighting (flash/speedlight).  I do use diffusers and/or reflectors from time to time just to even up the lighting.

I cannot speak for the photographer in your opening post.  However, I would imagine he/she had a vision of what he/she wanted the photo to look like before the first light was set up, the first pose with the subject or the first shutter press.  From there, the photographer would have created the lighting they wanted or found natural lighting that allowed for their vision to become reality.
I don't think there is any simple 1,2,3 kind of answer to your question.  It takes a lot of practice (and a lot of mistakes and more than a few train wrecks) to be able to have your own vision on a photo and then be able to set up to make that vision come to light.
The short answer I guess would be 1) lighting, 2) composition, 3) lighting. (yes I said lighting twice, I like lighting).

When you said "good natural light and white balance set correctly and that's about it?" I think you've oversimplified things to a high degree.  Finding good light, creating a pleasing composition and getting white balance and exposure correct is really all there is to photography.  It takes 3 minutes to explain it and a lifetime to master it.

Jeff

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow