Charging 5DIV batteries with battery pack?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 804
Re: Charging 5DIV batteries with battery pack?

EAV ATL wrote:

Prepping for a 7 day wilderness trip with no access to electricity. Need a way to have enough power for my 5D IV so I can take all the photos and video I need.

Thoughts and especially experience on multi day remote trips appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Your 5D IV takes essentially the same battery pack as my 7D II.  I've had excellent life out of my Canon batteries, and also good results from a much lower cost 3rd. party battery.  If your planned trip into the wild allows, can you do your own tests?  We all have different usage patterns, and I imagine "chimping" drains batteries quite quickly, but haven't done any tests.  ... and I've never ventured away from a reliable mains supply.

If you do choose a battery pack approach, will it use a lead-acid power source? (Precautions against damage & leakage?)  That I would expect to be less attractive than modern lithium cell technology.  I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to charge any Lithium based cell without using the supplied Canon charger, with its built-in safety features.

(Can you forego taking video?  Camcorder instead?)

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow