Sky-Watcher Adventurer or AZ-GTi?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Editorrr
OP Editorrr Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: Sky-Watcher Adventurer or AZ-GTi?

EricTheAstroJunkie wrote:

Editorrr wrote:

Which is better, Adventurer or AZ-GTi?

It will be used for astrophotography with lenses from 24 to 300 mm.

I have both, the AZ-GTi requires some "modification" in terms of making it work for equatorial tracking, updated firmware and stuff like that. Also take into account the AZ-GTi has no polar scope, so it has to be polar aligned via other methods like sharpcap/iPolar/Polarmaster or even drift alignment, a "rough" polar alignment can be accomplished with a laser pointer and bracket attached to the mount. The mount also must be controlled with the app, there's no way to have it start tracking without it, and the app can be finicky it seems.

In my experience the ease of use for the of the regular star adventurer makes it more relevant for wide angle stuff up to maybe 135mm, it's easy to polar align, easy to get tracking, easy to setup. Once you get above 135mm it becomes substantially more difficult to get your target in the field of view of your camera/lens/scope, this is where the benefits of the AZ-GTi come into play with Go-To capabilities (and you can even do plate solving/centering). So if you are thinking you will mostly be doing wide angle stuff I'd go with the regular star adventurer, if you think you'll be doing more long focal length stuff, go with the AZ-GTi.

I wanted to use my 24GM and 70-200GM (possibly with a converter). But the main purpose is astro-landscapes.
Thanks for the answer!

-- hide signature --

Sorry! I speak English badly.

Editorrr's gear list:Editorrr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow