With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,162
Re: It's a good question

michaeladawson wrote:

First, let me say that I think Nikon will start using Mark II, Mark III designations. I don't see that they can do otherwise given the Zx model numbering.

There is a good chance this will happen.

So I think it would be really strange for Nikon to come out with a high resolution (60MP) Z8. It would make much more sense to introduce a Z7 MkII with 60MP.

The Z8 will be to the Z6 and Z7 what the D800 was to the D700 and D3X, and then some. (I's say like the D800 was to the D610 and D750 except I think the D800 was introduced first.) It will be a professional model (like the D8x0 line and unlike the D610, D750, D780, Z6 or Z7.

If Nikon were to have a lineup that included Z5, Z6, Z7, Z8, and Z9 (a D6 pro type model) that would be one more in the lineup than they ever had in DSLR.

Think again: Dx, D8x0, D7x0, D6X0 and Df, I can count to five.  I expect that if a Z5 comes out, it will be lower end than any Nikon FF dSLR ever was.

If they do that, of which I'm doubtful, they would really need to come up with some differentiation between Z7 and Z8.

They will, not only a higher resolution sensor, but more pro features, as in the difference between a D8x00 and a D7x0.

I have no clue what Nikon will actually do. But I would think that the Z8 will really be a Z7 Mk II.

Nope, Nikon have clearly positioned the Z6 and Z7 as consumer cameras. The Z8 and Z9 will be the two flavours of pro cameras seen in their dSLRS - landscape and sports. They'll only come out when their performance merits it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow