knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,957
Re: why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Biggs23 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

The image definitely has this quality of prestige not only from the subject posing but I feel the colouring and image quality, you are right it is somewhat part of a new trend whereby Juergen Teller has adopted this naturalistic style to replace his golden film aesthetic previously.

After reading this, I decided to really dive into these images, and others like it. After finding a very large number compiled in an article (https://www.wmagazine.com/story/best-performances-2020/) I began to go through each image one by one. Eventually, I found this one:

Looking closely at this image (and others, but this one is the most obvious), it's quite clear to me that these images were captured with an iPhone.

This isn't special photography or editing, it's just laziness paired with mostly attractive people in mostly stylish clothing.

Reverse image search in Google sources this image to this girl's Instagram account, so no surprise there about it being from a phone.

I'm sure she put it there, but it was taken by the same photographer the rest were. Check the linked article for credits.

OK, got it. But that still doesn't tell us much (and how you think it might be relevant to this thread). It certainly looks like an iPhone-style shot (especially noting the deep DOF and smeared fine detail, blown highlights, etc.) Teller does a lot of work with a camera phone:

I'm not sure how many times I need to copy and paste the same thing before it will be read.

Apparently, you need to do it some more because I DID "read" (skim, actually) the article to which you linked. The shot you posted of the girl was not one of the shots referenced by the OP nor was it one of the cover shots shown in a companion article. Hard to tell, given Teller's deliberate casual style that mimics amateur photography, but I'd guess that the shot of the girl was more of a serendipitous candid, perhaps on the way to the shoot, than an "official" shot with the model posed and featuring the clothes selected for inclusion in this fashion magazine.

Why it's relevant is: This isn't special photography or editing, it's just laziness paired with mostly attractive people in mostly stylish clothing.

In other words, the OP is looking for some sort of magic where there is none. Stick pretty, well dressed people in scenarios with flat even lighting and whip out a cameraphone. That's all that's really required. While the former can be challenging to locate, the latter is pretty much the easiest photographic portrait that can be accomplished.

The fact that the iPhone shot "definitely shows" as you note below and the other shots are not obviously (and not likely) shot with an iPhone weakens your point about the lack of "magic". So, I'm still struggling to follow your reasoning.

Not long after Juergen began shooting the project did he change his approach, placing his SLR camera back in his bag and taking out his iPhone instead. “Immediately I realised the camera might not be the correct approach. I got my mobile phone out and I thought it makes more sense. It's like, the cousin or the uncle that comes to visit, and then takes a snapshot, you know? I know quite well, the restrictions with the iPhone, what you can do and what you can't do but I didn't want to be so intrusive with like, when the nurses were working, and the parents playing around, and they start suddenly to cry. It made much more sense with the iPhone. I get even better results with an iPhone than with a professional camera. There was also, in certain low lights, in certain scenarios, with these colours, the iPhone is even better.”

Juergen is one of the few big photographers who made their name in the 90s in style magazines to truly embrace the possibilities and new directions of phone photography. “A lot of my photography is on an iPhone. I enjoy it very much. I find it, I always found, in the whole spectrum of my career, that the more flexible I am with my tools, the better it is for my work.”

The above quote comes from this article about Teller.

It definitely shows.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow