Pixapro/Glow 70 degree Magnum reflector vs standard 7 inch reflector

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scrollop Contributing Member • Posts: 768
Pixapro/Glow 70 degree Magnum reflector vs standard 7 inch reflector

Hello,

Bought this reflector this week, and as there isn't much information on it around the web, I thought I'd share some test photos, thoughts and questions for anyone who has seen it and wanted more information.

This is the Pixapro (UK) or GLow (US) 70 degree High performance Magnum reflector (bought it for £80 from essentialphoto.co.uk).

It has a 36 cm diameter vs a standard 7inch/18cm refelctor and 22cm deep vs 12.5 for the 7inch refelctors that I have:

Inside, it has a larger scalloped pattern (3mm in diameter each "scallop", rather than the smaller pattern (<1mm) in a standard refelctor:

Magnum - interior. 3mm scalloped surfaces.

Above is the 7 inch reflectors more random, finer "etching" or grooves.

Is the Pixapro's pattern similar to the Profoto Magnum? Seems to be from photos of the Profoto Magnum interior. The two magnums are similar in size, though the Pixapro is 70 degrees whilst the Profoto 25-50.

Here are test photos of a dummy head Magnum vs standard reflectors.

They are shot at 2 distances, both with the dummy head at aprox 110cm from the back wall.

Used an AD600 with remote head, WB flash, JPGs (comparison shots screengrabs of lightroom). All shot at 1/160 and ISO 100 on an A7Rii and tamron 70-180 at 70mm and 180mm.

1) AD600 head at around 45 degrees to the right of the head (ie. screen left) and rasied up - aprox 210cm from bulb to the heads right eye. AD600 with head at 1/16 +0.3 at 210cm.

1a) No diffuser comparison at 210cm from the bulb, which is screen left, 45 degrees from the midline and vertically

No diffuser: Magnum on left f/14; standard on right F/5

No diffuser: Magnum on RIGHT this time, f/14; standard on left F/5

No diffuser: Magnum on RIGHT this time, f/14; standard on left F/5

1b) Same location of the bulb as before, both with diffusers (though, the magnum has the diffuser that came with it, which gives a golden colour, whilst the standard reflector has a cheap chinese dissuer that doesn't seem to do anything much, except need about 0.5 stops more light)

Diffusion on 7inch reflector, Left, F/4.5 and Magnum, right F/4

2a) 75 cm from bulb to model, model still aprox 110cm from background, no diffusion.

AD600 with head at 1/256 +0.3.

75 cm bulb to model, 7 inch on left F/4.5, magnum on right F/10, no diffusion

2b) 75 cm from bulb to model, model still aprox 110cm from background, with diffusion.

75 cm bulb to model, 7 inch on left F/3.2, magnum on right F/3.2, with diffusion

75 cm bulb to model, 7 inch on left F/3.2, magnum on right F/3.2, with diffusion

Standard reflectors have a 55 degree spead of light (please correct me if I'm wrong), and the Magnum has a 70 degree spread, however it doesn't come with a grid. The Profoto has a 25 to 50 degree spread and comes with grids (all are absurdly expensive - the 10 degree grid is 475 USD, barndoors 1375 USD).

You can see on the zoomed out shots that the magnum light is much more tightly focused on the subject, with the background dark - this is a similar effect that I see when adding a grid to a beauty dish.

The diffuser reduces light output by over 3 stops, and greatly diffuses and refracts the light as the tight falloff when using it without the diffuser is replaced by a similar field brightness to the stanrd reflector.

Is this due to the increased depth and scalloped surface of the Magnum?

When used close to the model, the difference between the two reflectors is more apparent. The Magnum is a larger lightsource so the light falloff is more diffuse, yet the shadows are deeper due to it's much higher light output.

The differences become less apparent as the distance from bulb to subject increases, or if you use the reflector.

THe Magnum diffusion material warms the light.

To my eye the result is pleasing. I need to compare it to a beauty dish.

They say that Magnum reflectors are useful for sports, fashion and portraits, and, as Adorama write:

"The GLOW 70° Magnum Reflector ideal for theatrical portraits, event photography where coverage to stage or dais is crucial, creative expression, ordinary wedding photography and is essential for everyday studio photography."

It would also be useful for outdoors photography due to it's ability to greatly increase/focus light output.

210cm from bulb, Magnum, no diffuser (and out of focus)

210cm from bulb, Magnum, no diffuser

210cm from bulb, 7 inch reflector, no diffuser

210cm from bulb, 7 inch reflector, no diffuser

210cm from bulb, Magnum, with diffusion

210cm from bulb, Magnum, with diffusion

210cm from bulb, 7 inch reflector with diffusion

210cm from bulb, 7 inch reflector with diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, Magnum, no diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, Magnum, no diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, 7 inch reflector no diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, 7 inch reflector no diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, Magnum reflector and diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, Magnum reflector and diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, 7 inch reflector and diffusion

75cm from bulb to subject, 7 inch reflector and diffusion

Scrollop's score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow