Do I really need a prime lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,510
Re: Do I really need a prime lens?

techie takes pics wrote:

Are we posting cats?

1st off, gorgeous kitty!

I only posted my examples because this seemed to be a prime point the OP was asking about:

I take mostly cat pictures and the flash would disturb them so the 50mm is the best way to go I guess. The price is decent and I can use it outside as well.

Thanks

Jeff

Specifically the part about flash disturbing them.  I've found with my cats, most other animals, and even humans that in general the larger the light source for a given light power, the less bright and dazzling it is/appears to be, and if you have a large enough light source--like bouncing off of a ceiling/wall or a large softbox/umbrella, all of that flash energy is spread out over multiple square feet, instead of about 2 square inches (about the size of my speedlights or the remote head of my pocket strobe's fresnel head), or even smaller for a pop-up.  Even upping the flash power to make up for reflection losses or distance losses, the spread-out light not only appears dimmer and is less likely to dazzle the subject, but it also conveys some other benefits like softer, more flattering light, and depending on how you bounce or where you put your softboxes/modifiers/umbrellas, can have a much more pleasant direction of light which can give better shadows and accentuate depth.

The key though is to go large--your standard piece of tupperware you put over the flash head itself that is barely bigger than the flashhead still concentrates the light in a small area

Good luck and happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow