why do digital files colours looks so bad without post

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,953
Re: A bit of quick analysis

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

whosthatwhatsthat wrote:

In comparison to this, I'd say they are very high end

Sometimes it's helpful to push images in one way or another to better understand what's already there but too subtle to overtly identify. In the side-by-side comparison below, I've pushed shadows and pulled highlights the same amount. The other meaningful change I made is downsizing the shot of Brad Pitt (I assume) to equal the size of the female model shot. With these changes performed, what I see in the female model shot is more underlying postprocessing, probably to deal with the backlighting challenge that shot posed.These kind of conversion/processing edits have implications for how natural the results will look (in terms of color, tonality and noise). The Brad Pitt shot on the other hand did not require the same degree of shadow pushing and other adjustments because the lighting was more even to begin with.

its interesting as becuase he looks pretty much exactly the same, how is that possible to achieve on the day, just simply a well rounded exposure?

Yes, basically. The female model shot was done in much more extreme lighting. The strong shadow at her feet is a clue. We all know what happens when you take a shot of a person in a backlit and otherwise bright outdoor scene (and insufficient fill flash or other compensating light isn't used). It means more post/processing manipulation is required to push up the lightness of the subject herself. There's ALWAYS a price to be paid when pushing shadows. It might not be consciously obvious to the viewer if the push isn't too big, but it might be subconsciously troubling. I think that's what you're reacting to.

Get the scenic lighting right, if you want that "natural" look you're going for, so you don't need to fix it in post/processing.

Thus, it comes through as more "right" to you or at least that's what I'm suspecting you're picking up on.

As in its more natural and if you wanted you would have for more control in post to edit the brad Pitt photo, which is how I would like to shoot so everything is even.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow