DPP - Hidden noise reduction ? (M6 Mark II)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MyM6II Senior Member • Posts: 1,327
DPP - Hidden noise reduction ? (M6 Mark II)

In jpegs, I have sometimes noticed some heavy noise reduction in the shadows. Especially with the M6 II . Here is one example:

It is a screen shot from Lightroom of a 1:1 zoom. The picture is underexposed so I have lifted the exposure setting to +1.25. It is shot with AUTO picture style with default sharpness settings (4,2,4). High ISO noise reduction: OFF. No sharpness or noise reduction added in Lightroom.

Screenshot from Lightroom (JPEG)

Here is the RAW version:

Screen shot from Lightroom (CR3 C-RAW). Much better.

Now, the solution should obvious be: "Shoot raw".

Yes, I usually do that. But there is no Camera Matching profiles for M6 II in Lightroom. And I hate the Adobe profiles (Adobe Color etc.) So then the solution should be: "Shoot RAW and prosess in DPP" !

Well, I am not very fond of DPP because it is incredible slow on my MacBook and I like Lightroom's shadow and highlight recover so much better. But I decided to try it again anyway.
The problem is; when I open DPP and the picture is loading (the "thinking" wheel is spinning in the lower right corner) the picture looks fine, but as soon as the loading is finished it changes to this dull mush.

I managed to take a screen shot while it was loading:

DPP while photo was loading . Looks good.

And here it is finished loading:

DPP Photo finished loading. Looks bad.

And there is no way to get back to the "loading" version, no matter what settings I change. I think I have tried everything (every combination of noise reduction and sharpening, ALO on off, DLO, you name it).
To me it looks like DPP is applying the same "behind the scenes" noise reduction that it does in the JPEGs. Without any way of removing it.
Anyone else seen this ?

MyM6II's gear list:MyM6II's gear list
Canon G7 X III Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M6 II
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow