X100V first impressions & images

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 222
X100V first impressions & images

Thought I'd share for the benefit of anyone considering upgrading to the V, including taking a look at some of the concerns that have been circulating on forums. Happy to answer any questions too.

I imagine everyone is familiar with the specs by this point! I thought the most helpful thing would be to look at some of the changes that I've found the most significant, and share some images from my first week of use.

My experience is with the X100T, X-T2 and X-E3, though at some stage I've owned every generation of the X-Trans sensor.

Appearance/handling

The V feels more premium than the T. It's beautifully designed and constructed. The flippy screen is terrific: If you like them, use it; if you don't, you'll forget it's there.

Coming from the X-E3, I don't miss the D-pad, but do wish they hadn't switched the play and Disp/Back buttons. I'll be using the two cameras in conjunction, and it's going to get annoying!

I don't really use the touch screen except to enter text, but it appears more responsive than the X-E3 (not difficult!)

Lens & AF

The new lens is fantastic. I found its predecessor perfectly sharp in most situations (albeit at 16MP) but the improvements at f2, and close up if that's your thing, are obvious. I really value being able to take the aperture all the way down to f2 and not have to worry about the sharpness being compromised. As a result, I'm shooting at f2 a lot more than I used to.

AF is obviously a massive improvement on the X100T. I suspect users coming from the F won't notice the difference as much as I did. AF on the V is fast and seems confident in low light, though not as instantly snappy as the 23mm f2.

EVF/OVF

I don't use the OVF, but it is noticeably bigger and brighter than in the T. The EVF is also a pleasing improvement. Although it's understandably not as big and magnificent as that on the X-T series, it's very clear and I appreciate the slight size increase from previous models. I get the impression the display skews a little cool in comparison with the actual output, but this could be my imagination.

Output & film simulations

Fuji's jpegs have always been great, but I really think the V takes things to a new level. The higher level of customisability, combined with new film simulations, means that for the first time, I'm creating jpegs that are very close to how I would envision a final edit. Yesterday, I found myself abandoning a RAW edit because I liked the jpeg more.

I sometimes find the Classic Negative film simulation a bit over-stylised for my taste, but great in some situations. I shift the WB away from the green, and often warm things up a bit. Equally, you can embrace it and go for a really compelling Superia look as Ritchie Roesch has done on fujixweekly .

More useful for me, as it turns out, are the Colour Chrome Effect modes. These deepen certain colours, adding a little contrast in the process. I particularly like what it does to the sky in Classic Chrome. Even skin tones take on a little more contrast, which I appreciate in many situations.

Overheating/focus ring grinding

As a fairly neurotic individual, I was concerned that overheating might be a problem on my camera. Sure enough, when I powered it on and started configuring the menus & film simulations to my liking, it gradually started to get distinctly warm in the area where your thumb rests.

According to Fuji, the heat sink had to be accommodated in this area, which is why it's so noticeable on this model. To be honest, I can see why it bothers people. Having your thumb pressed against this area when it's hot does feel uncomfortable. It's no warmer than a phone gets when experiencing a similar strain on its processor, but it isn't something we're used to expecting from a camera.

After installing the latest firmware, I decided to put the V through its paces to see how quickly the overheating warning would appear with intense use. I spent a lot of time in the menu system, then perhaps a good half an hour shooting my other half cooking in a very hot kitchen (this sounds terrible, but I promise I was told not to help!!).

The camera got pretty hot under these conditions, but never reached the stage when the yellow warning appeared. The battery held up well.

The following day I used the camera much more as I would normally - intermittent shooting, sometimes leaving the camera on, sometimes not. It didn't even get warm.

I'm therefore satisfied that my camera is behaving normally, and that as someone who doesn't shoot video, I'm very unlikely to push it to the point where it overheats, even though the warmth generated by the camera is a bit unnerving at first.

TL;DR - I'm buying a thumb grip.

Oh, and my focus ring turns smoothly!

Sample images

I haven't felt comfortable doing my usual street photography since lockdown started, but the camera came with me to Bleinheim Palace over the weekend and thought I'd share a few snapshots. It was my birthday, hence the candles in the brownie

All of these are shot either in a tweaked Classic Chrome or Classic Negative, with minimal PP in Capture One.

Classic Neg, SOOC

Classic Neg with minor tweaks

Classic Neg, from RAW (warmer WB, detail brought out in sky)

Mono conversion in Capture One from Classic Chrome

Classic Chrome with Colour Chrome Effect (strong) and Blue (strong)

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Back in February I stumbled across the livestream as the X100V was being announced. I actually gasped as they slowly read out all of the upgrades I had wanted, but scarcely dared to hope for. I knew I'd upgrade as soon as I could find the right deal. But should you?

I think upgrade decisions should always be feature-led. For the kind of shooting I enjoy, I knew I'd benefit from the faster AF, flip screen, sharper images at f2 and WR. Before committing a sizeable chunk of money, it's worth looking over your images and asking if you would have benefitted from those features. Every generation of the X100 is capable of stunning images, after all.

It's harder to say whether I'd be upgrading if I hadn't skipped the F. I love the images from my X-Trans III cameras, and the ISO performance by all accounts seems to be at least as good as the current sensor. But although it's early days, I'm glad I took the plunge, and I think this camera should be able to withstand future attacks of GAS for many years to come!

Suggestions

- Adjustments in the tone curve by 0.5 increments (as in the X-T4) - please Fuji! The difference between 0 and -1 shadows is too dramatic, IMO. This could easily be done in firmware so fingers crossed.

- I would love to be able to swap the Play and Disp/Back buttons for compatibility with my X-E3

- Maybe think about relocating that heat sink in the next model!

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow