50mm f2 vs 35mm 1.4 - which has more bokeh?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,486
Re: Is "bokeh" necessary for portraits ?

William Loney wrote:

KariP wrote:

Spazmaster wrote:

Im working on filling in my prime lineup, currently have 18f2, 23 f2, 27 2.8, 35 1.4

Was thinking about adding in a 50mm f2 to round it out and have something for portraits. Im wondering if anyone has input on how much bokeh I would get with the 35 f1.4 at f1.4 vs 50f2 at f2

Would you guys grab this lens or go for something longer like the Viltrox 85 or Fuji f2?

Very often I see people buying or planning to buy some lens for portraits because it has very shallow DOF and "speed" ( 56mmf 1,2 or something)

Nice bokeh looks good , sometimes. I have been looking at some portraits - especially from old masters and of course some modern . Extremely shallow DOF is actually used very seldom - if ever. Some photographers also use the surroundings/landscape or persons home so that it is not blurred away and also tells something of the persons personality. Perhaps also some statue or art can benefit from very shallow DOF - anyway a lot of background blur is not a measure of quality - of the lens or the photographer.

Thank you! This needed to be said.

We are in the era of the 'bokeh fad,' much like the era of the HDR fad of some years ago, the saturated colour fad of the early '90s, the starburst filter fad of the 'late '70s......

It will pass, but I wonder how many will look at older portraits in the future and wish that they could 'un-bokeh' all those portraits that they are taking today.

Much as I love my 56, I wouldn't dare present a client with a set of shots all taken wide open @f1.2. Don't think they'd really appreciate my 'artistic interpretations!'

I did a series of headshots the other day, with the bulk being at f5.6. A few 3/4 shots at f4, and that's it.

Happy client, happy photographer.

Those wider apertures? Full body portraits from the appropriate distances look great, as do other situations where light is scarce.

Thanks

I'm not a professional at all. I have a couple of times taken some portraits of a couple after/before wedding and they have been quite happy - and even I have liked the results. It is really difficult! They still have the photographs hanging on a wall or framed.  Also still married - not sure if the portraits have helped , I hope so

I had f 1,2 and f 1,4 lenses then , but did not use them  very much ...  best result I got with  a zoom 24-105 f 4  (using f5,6-7) on a FF camera.  X-T1 was used with 18-55...

Does not sound like a professional - I'm an amateur anyway  no reputation to protect 

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
JNR
rlx
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
rlx
rlx
JNR
rlx
rlx
rlx
JNR
rlx
rlx
JNR
rlx
rlx
JNR
JNR
JNR
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow