Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RMcL Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

SC489 wrote:

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Use 7z to open the Dell .exe installation file. Use Open Inside then copy the installation files to anther folder. Use Device Manger to manually install the driver by navigating to the .inf file which you will find somewhere in the unpacked files.

Once installed you need to prevent Windows 10 reverting to what it thinks is a better driver. I use this method https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Thanks, pretty detailed stuff. I tried, but ended up locking myself out from being able to install driver. Reverted settings in group policy editor and back to square 1. Windows still determines that best driver is already installed, that is the generic PnP driver... Will try again with fresh brain tomorrow

Disconnect from the internet first to stop Windows updating the driver. Install the Dell driver as above then block the Dell driver just installed from being updated using Group Policy as above. Now reconnect the internet. You will not be able to change the driver until you unblock the update.

Thanks, I’ll give it a go, but so far I’m not even able to install the Dell driver in the first place. It was installed in the very beginning when I got the monitor a few days ago, but then a Windows update must have overridden it. Now Dell driver install just bails saying Windows has determined that a better driver is already installed.... Will try disconnecting internet to see if it helps.

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow