Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,198
Re: Forcing Windows to use Dell UP2718Q driver?

RMcL wrote:

SC489 wrote:

Use 7z to open the Dell .exe installation file. Use Open Inside then copy the installation files to anther folder. Use Device Manger to manually install the driver by navigating to the .inf file which you will find somewhere in the unpacked files.

Once installed you need to prevent Windows 10 reverting to what it thinks is a better driver. I use this method https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146562-prevent-windows-update-updating-specific-device-driver.html

Thanks, pretty detailed stuff. I tried, but ended up locking myself out from being able to install driver. Reverted settings in group policy editor and back to square 1. Windows still determines that best driver is already installed, that is the generic PnP driver... Will try again with fresh brain tomorrow

Disconnect from the internet first to stop Windows updating the driver. Install the Dell driver as above then block the Dell driver just installed from being updated using Group Policy as above. Now reconnect the internet. You will not be able to change the driver until you unblock the update.

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow