Who to blame for Olympus...

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kyle Style New Member • Posts: 24
Who to blame for Olympus...

Not Olympus.

In April 2020 there were only just under 300k ILCs shipped according to CIPA.  Fewer in  March, and maybe less in May too.

A few years ago Companies like Olympus were shipping near 200K ILCs a month by themselves.

The fact is Canon makes up between a third and half of ILCs sold so that brings the monthly numbers down to near 150K per month for everyone else.

No one can say if these numbers will come back close to what they were just a year ago or if this is where they were already going only getting there earlier than expected.

It will be very difficult to earn back what is spent on R&D for a new camera without huge markups with sales numbers so low.

So when people ask, why isn't Olympus designing a whole new camera at a time when sales for everyone are nonexistent, all I can do is shake my head.   Maybe Canon can do it because of their market share, but for everyone else expect more new cameras that look like the old ones with FW updates and some marketing hype.

Samsung was criticized for leaving the camera industry even though they were the largest company in the industry with the deepest pockets.  They also made their own sensors.    But they were smart and made the right choice.

I can't blame Olympus for not taking a gamble that looks like it may never payoff.  And honestly others, some big names, are going to follow or cut back drastically.   Its not over folks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow