Need Upgrade Advice

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
Re: Need Upgrade Advice

pacifica529 wrote:

Do I need to step up in proccesor? If so, would a Intel i7 4th generation be enough of an upgrade. Can get a decent price on desktops with that in it. Thanks for any help.

AMDs are good as well.  A lot depends on what software you are running.  When I upgrade 18 months ago I was using DxO Photolab and it makes better use of multiple cores than PS/LR so the recommendation was to go with AMD since AMD does better with multi-threading while Intel does better with single threading.  I went with a Ryzen 2700X and it has done fine.  The 3700x are now about the same price the 2700x was 18 months ago.  One other thing to consider in AMD vs Intel - 18 months ago the motherboards that best supported USB 3.1 Gen 2 were for AMD, the motherboards that supported Thunderbolt 3 were Intel.

Another tip - use two 8G for memory rather than four 4G so you have room to upgrade to 32G if needed without having to throw away memory.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow