Olympus 12-200 or Lumix FZ1000 ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,877
Re: Olympus 12-200 or Lumix FZ1000 ?

Chizuka wrote:

Can I assume that the quality of the Oly 12-200 would be better because of the camera sensor?

I would not assume anything without testing the lens to see if its quality matched that of my other MFT lenses. If it does, then the larger sensor should produce more resolution of fine detail.

I use both MFT and the FZ1000, and I don't print large with files from the FZ1000, so I am normally not concerned about using the 1" sensor.

What would you recommend? Oly 12-200 or Lumix FZ 1000?

If in your situation today, I would choose the FZ1000 because of the "macro mode" which permits close focusing to about 1" for tiny flowers and insects, which I like to photograph on walks. The Minimum Focusing Distance of the 12-200mm is 8.66"

I've used the FZ1000 mostly for nature photography, and I like the natural look of colors, especially for flowers. I took this camera with my other gear for some years in the southern Sierra Nevada, and when I wanted to go on walks without a lot of gear, I picked up the FZ1000.

Some from then, and recent:

Two shades of yellow accurately reproduced

The following flower and duck wattle colors are accurately reproduced:

Red wattle of a Muscovy Duck

It's a fun camera to use.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow