Monitor calibration quality assessment?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,450
How do you measure quality?

RMcL wrote:

This is a survey like question. For those that color calibrate their monitors what calculation method do you most frequently rely on to check quality of the calibration?

1) delta-E 1976

2) delta-E 1994 (CIE94)

3) delta-E 2000 (DE*00)

In addition to this, what criteria do you use to assess pass or fail, average delta-E and maximum delta-E? E.g., average delta-E < 2% and max delta-E < 4%?

Please also comment on your reasoning for choosing one method over the other.

I have Dell UP2718Q and Dell use delta-E 1994 (CIE94) with criteria average delta-E < 2% for their internal quality control prior to shipping monitors. X-Rite calibration software only provides option for delta-E 1976 and delta-E 2000. The latter provides lower delta-E values as it accounts for diminished human perception of color differences which is likely a more pragmatic approach to color accuracy assessment.

Thanks in advance!

My X-Rite i1 Display puck and software has a quality-measurement function that gives me delta-E values, but are these valid anyway? Presumably, some of the quality error is due to the accuracy of the puck, and using the same sensor to calibrate and then to measure accuracy will just cancel out the errors due to the puck itself. Any comments on this? How big an error source is the puck itself, compared to other parts of the signal chain? Does the puck get worse over time? Can the puck be calibrated using a reference card?

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow