Do the R system cameras have a night-vision mode?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JE River Regular Member • Posts: 129
Do the R system cameras have a night-vision mode?

I've been thinking about the possibility of going back to Canon at some point, but the last mirrorless one I owned was an SL2. It was a struggle to view any dark scenes with that camera because it tried too hard to keep the refresh rate of the LCD up instead of lowering it to brighten the view. On my Sony a6300, I have a custom button mapped that will instantly go into a Bright Monitoring mode where it lowers the frame rate and stacks the frames to create a vastly brighter LCD display of the scene. This is pretty critical for doing astro-landscape work. With an f2.0 or faster lens, the camera can see better in the dark than my eyes, which is great. Framing astro-landscapes in the dark is tedious if the LCD is black or just noise, often requiring trial and error, or a high-powered flashlight.

Do the R or RP have such a feature? Do they at least lower the refresh rate instead of keeping the same rate but adding an insane amount of signal gain? I would imagine there isn't much point in keeping the LCD at 30FPS if the exposure times are over 10 seconds.

-- hide signature --

Nature Explorer
JohanRiver.com

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow