Shutter Shock with a Pentax K-70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,236
Shutter Shock with a Pentax K-70

I've been struggling to get good Moon photos using a Celestron 5" OTA and the Pentax K-70. A while ago someone pointed out that my C-5 needed colllimation; I did that and it was better, but still not as good as it could be. I suspected shutter shock since shorter exposures (1/500 or shorter) were sharper, and very long exposures were also sharper.

But I finally got around to upgrading the firmware on my K-1, so that Electronic FIrst Curtain is now a menu option. Last night I took several Moon photos with the K-70, then switched to the K-1 with EFS. The improvement was astonishing. Even though the K-70 put more pixels across the Moon (due to its smaller pixel size), the K-1 images were much sharper.

Both images at 100%; processing identical, acquisition identical. K-1 on right:

Just for grins, here's what happens when you inadvertantly press the shutter while holding the camera, when in EFC mode:

Maybe the K-70 will have EFC as a menu option someday...

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow