No back button focusing with Z50 in AF-S mode - best workaround?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 383
No back button focusing with Z50 in AF-S mode - best workaround?

To those of you who like me use back button focusing: What is your favorite way to work around the issue that you can't do it when in AF-S mode on the Z50?

I see two solutions:

1. Use AF-C and back button focusing because this works although probably only Nikon knows why it won't in AF-S mode.

2. Use AF-S and after acquiring focus use a function button to lock focus while pressing the shutter release button.

The first solution isn't very good for static subjects because you don't get a green square to assure you that the camera found focus. It also lets the camera continuously search for focus which sometimes means that the subject gets out of focus again.

The second solution is a bit inconvenient.

So do you have another idea? Could you use the AF-L/AE-L button to do AF-S focusing while in manual focus mode? My old Fuji would let me do this and this would be a convenient workaround. Unfortunately I can't test it now because I'm not home for a couple of days.

The best solution would be a firmware update by Nikon because it just doesn't make sense to artificially rob the camera of the capability to use BBF in conjunction with AF-S mode.

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow