Do I really need a prime lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,754
Re: Do I really need a prime lens?

Jeff Farkas wrote:

As the title says.. do I really need a prime lens? So far I have two zoom lenses that suit my needs just fine. 1) Nikon 55-200 2) Nikon 18-200. The one I was thinking of getting is the 50MM 1.8 but I wonder if I really need it. I shoot mostly outside and when I shoot indoors I use a flash.

Would it be better to get a third party flash and not get a prime to deal with indoor work?

TIA
Jeff

If you are satisfied with your present setup, then no. Prime lenses usually are faster and lighter than zooms and may (or may not) be optically better because they are simpler designs, but many are dissatisfied with being limited to a single focal length.

I'm a pro and used to carry a whole bag of primes during the film era, mainly because zooms of the time were freakin' horrible. But these days I rely exclusively upon high-end zooms except for my beloved old 300mm f/2.8 and a 100mm macro.

You might as well keep the 50mm just in case you need a fast lens, though.

You didn't describe your indoor work. Architecture is typically done on a tripod and party/people stuff typically uses a flash.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow