Nikon Z7 + FTZ + 300mm 2.8 VR = ERROR?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mmateyko New Member • Posts: 6
Nikon Z7 + FTZ + 300mm 2.8 VR = ERROR?

Hey there,

I have a working Nikon Z7, FTZ, and a set of F-mount and Z-mount lenses, but it seems like my FTZ leaked out some of it's magic smoke and stopped working altogether.

Here's what happened, in order:

1. Nikon Z7 works fine with (Z-Mount) 24-70 2.8S, 50 1.8S, as well as (F-Mount) 500mm PF, 50mm 1.8 AFD. No errors.
  2. Attach Z7 to FTZ to 300mm 2.8 VR - also works as expected ... for about ten minutes. Suddenly, [ERR] appears on the top plate and the camera clicks repeatedly until giving up and displaying a message on the back screen that I should depress the shutter to try again. I believe the clicking sound is the aperture lever failing to engage properly, but I'm not sure.
  3. Z7 to FTZ to 500mm PF no longer works, displaying the same message and giving off the repeated click before failing.
  4. Z7 to FTZ to 50mm 1.8 AFD still works, although there is a distinct clicking sound on power-up that I don't quite recall before. Otherwise seems to function fine, adjusting aperture and taking shots.
  5. Z7 still works with Z-Mount lenses with no issue.
  6. 300mm 2.8 VR and 500mm PF still works flawlessly with both a D600 and D500.
  7. FTZ appears (cosmetically) fine, with no bending, warping, or other mechanical damage.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? A cursory search of the forums indicates that some people have had issues with the FTZ and a handful of older, legacy AFS lenses (80-200 AFS, 28-70 AFS) potentially blowing a fuse of some kind, but there don't seem to be hard conclusions as to the contributing factors.

I've seen YouTube videos of people shooting just fine with the 300mm 2.8 VR / VR2 and FTZ, which is confusing. Is this a known issue? Was my FTZ just defective? This one is out of warranty and I don't mind buying a new one, if I can be sure that it'll just work.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Nikon D500 Nikon D600 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow